Answered By: Dave
Last Updated: Jan 07, 2019     Views: 267

In this situation, it is actually better to see if Biola participates in any of the same consortia as APU (besides SCATLA). It is a more involved process to obtain a SCATLA card (and it is available to a more limited group of people), so checking into the agreements we have through other consortial arrangements might be worth your while:

As you can see by clicking on the link above, APU participates in four consortia which all provide different benefits. LINK+ has a Visiting Patron Program which allows students and faculty from LINK+ institutions to walk into other LINK+ libraries and borrow books. Only an APU id is needed to use these libraries. However, not every LINK+ library participates in this program. For a list of participating LINK+ libraries, click here. You'll see that Biola University is a participating institution in the Visiting Patron Program. See the next paragraph for a description of SCATLA and the requirements for obtaining a SCATLA card.

SCATLA (Southern California Theological Library Association) is a consortium of 22 theological libraries in Southern California. These libraries have agreed to allow limited lending to students and faculty at SCATLA institutions. SCATLA cards allow only graduate theology students and theology faculty members to visit and borrow materials from participating libraries. A research consultation is required in order to obtain a SCATLA card, and users must show their APU ID card and a SCATLA card at the participating library in order to borrow books. To arrange for a research consultation, contact Michelle Spomer at or (626) 815-6000, Ext. 5777.

NOTE:  SCATLA cards are only issued when APU libraries cannot meet a particular research need, and there is another SCATLA library that can meet this need. A SCATLA card will not be issued when it is requested due to convenience (i.e. a particular SCATLA library is closer to you geographically).